from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun One that burns, especially.
  • noun A device, as in a furnace, stove, or gas lamp, that is lighted to produce a flame.
  • noun A device on a stovetop, such as a gas jet or electric element, that produces heat.
  • noun A unit, such as a furnace, in which something is burned.
  • noun An incinerator.
  • noun A sharp pain caused by compression of a nerve, often resulting from a sports injury.
  • idiom (on the back burner) As a low priority.
  • idiom (on the front burner) As a high priority.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A device for heating a painted surface so that the paint can be removed.
  • noun A person who burns or sets fire to anything.
  • noun The part of a lamp from which the flame is sues; the part that holds the wick; also, the jetpiece from which a gas-flame issues.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who, or that which, burns or sets fire to anything.
  • noun The part of a lamp, gas fixture, etc., where the flame is produced.
  • noun (Chem.) see Bunsen burner.
  • noun etc. See under Argand, Rose, etc.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Someone or something which burns.
  • noun An element on a kitchen stove that generates localized heat for cooking.
  • noun chemistry A device that generates localized heat for experiments; a bunsen burner.
  • noun A device that burns fuel; e.g. a diesel engine; a hot-air balloon's propulsion system.
  • noun A device for burning refuse; an incinerator
  • noun computing A device that allows data or music to be stored on a CDR or CD-ROM.
  • noun slang A mobile phone used for only a short time and then thrown away so that the owner cannot be traced.
  • noun slang An elaborate piece of graffiti.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun an apparatus for burning fuel (or refuse)
  • noun the heating elements of a stove or range on which pots and pans are placed for cooking


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word burner.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.