from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that burns, especially:
- n. A device, as in a furnace, stove, or gas lamp, that is lighted to produce a flame.
- n. A device on a stovetop, such as a gas jet or electric element, that produces heat.
- n. A unit, such as a furnace, in which something is burned: an oil burner.
- n. An incinerator.
- n. Slang An elaborate mural painted by a graffiti artist, usually on the wall of an abandoned building.
- n. Slang A large, multicolored graffito.
- idiom on the back burner As a low priority: kept the project on the back burner all summer.
- idiom on the front burner As a high priority.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone or something which burns.
- n. An element on a kitchen stove that generates localized heat for cooking.
- n. A device that generates localized heat for experiments; a bunsen burner.
- n. A device that burns fuel; e.g. a diesel engine; a hot-air balloon's propulsion system.
- n. A device for burning refuse; an incinerator
- n. A device that allows data or music to be stored on a CDR or CD-ROM.
- n. A mobile phone used for only a short time and then thrown away so that the owner cannot be traced.
- n. An elaborate piece of graffiti.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, burns or sets fire to anything.
- n. The part of a lamp, gas fixture, etc., where the flame is produced.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person who burns or sets fire to anything.
- n. The part of a lamp from which the flame is sues; the part that holds the wick; also, the jetpiece from which a gas-flame issues.
- n. A device for heating a painted surface so that the paint can be removed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an apparatus for burning fuel (or refuse)
- n. the heating elements of a stove or range on which pots and pans are placed for cooking
Sorry, no etymologies found.