from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Archaic A Tartar or Mogul khan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Archaic spelling of khan.
- n. An autocrat or dominant critic, especially Samuel Johnson.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To chew.
- n. The sovereign prince of Tartary; -- now usually written khan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An older form of champ.
- Awry; cam.
- n. A former spelling of khan.
French, from Turkish khān, lord, prince; see khan1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French cham, from Turkish han ("lord, prince") (borrowed into Arabic, Persian, Mongolian etc.). (Wiktionary)