from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The jack of clubs and highest trump in certain variations of loo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The jack of clubs in loo played with hands of 5 cards.
- n. A card game, similar to napoleon, in which the jack of clubs is the highest trump.
- v. To pan.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The knave of clubs.
- n. A card game in which the jack of clubs is trump.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The knave of clubs in the game of loo.
- n. Abbreviations of pamphlet.
- n. A form of pan- before a labial.
Ultimately shortening of French pamphile, probably from Greek Pamphilos, beloved of all (personal name); see pamphlet.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably short for French Pamphile ("a given name"), special use of man's name. (Wiktionary)
Probably alteration of pan. (Wiktionary)