from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To take careful thought or think carefully about; ponder. See Synonyms at think.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To meditate, to ponder, to think deeply.
- v. To consider, to devise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To engage in continuous thought; to think.
- transitive v. To think over; to plan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To think earnestly or studiously; reflect; ponder; meditate: as, to cogitate upon means of escape.
- To revolve in the mind; think about attentively; meditate on; hence, devise or plan: as, he is cogitating mischief.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. use or exercise the mind or one's power of reason in order to make inferences, decisions, or arrive at a solution or judgments
- v. consider carefully and deeply; reflect upon; turn over in one's mind
This is where we get the word cogitate [cogitare].
To assume is to cogitate is to choose, on whatever grounds and by whatever characteristics.
Most baseball players do not drop in the word "cogitate" into their casual conversations, but Dickey does such things apparently without self-awareness.
“Shall we have this out now or go our separate ways and cogitate upon the matter?”
While the allies want to leave Afghanistan, the US cogitate send more troops.
Our mental processing time for this stuff is so glacial, we seem to need to cogitate about 50 years before going for mass transit, for example.
Now I'm going to cogitate a while, then post my thoughts about The End. See you later!
But I don't want to push those ideas too far until I've had more time to cogitate on them.
Other remarks also illustrated the limits of the President's favored style -- one that might be described as "pause, cogitate, absorb, find middle ground" -- during a catastrophe.
At which prospect many politicians, many social hosts, gulp and cogitate.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.