from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. black as coal
- v. to make black, as with coal
- n. Soot.
- n. A blackbird
- n. Alternative spelling of collie.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The black grime or soot of coal.
- transitive v. To render black or dark, as of with coal smut; to begrime.
- n. A kind of dog. See collie.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make foul or dirty; grime, as with the smut of coal; blacken.
- n. The black grime or soot of coal or burned wood.
- n. See collie.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make soiled, filthy, or dirty
From Middle English cole ("coal") + -y (Wiktionary)