Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make foul or dirty; grime, as with the smut of coal; blacken.
- n. The black grime or soot of coal or burned wood.
- n. See collie.
- adj. UK, dialect black as coal
- v. transitive, archaic to make black, as with coal
- n. UK, dialect Soot.
- n. UK, dialect A blackbird
- n. dated alternative spelling of collie.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete The black grime or soot of coal.
- v. Archaic. To render black or dark, as of with coal smut; to begrime.
- n. A kind of dog. See collie.
- v. make soiled, filthy, or dirty
- From Middle English cole ("coal") + -y (Wiktionary)
“colly" birds, colly referring to soot or coal black.”
“For the fourth day colly birds - or is it calling birds?”
“• Remember to give your true love four colly/calling birds on this fourth day of Christmas.”
“He's the raven master who looks after nine very large, very important colly birds -- black ravens.”
“That was a slang name for the blackbird -- calling birds, colly birds.”
“Nao no kitteh but haz border colly, 2 big 2 lift 2 seeling, sew whee send hur 2 chais da ebil skwerls orf da burds fooders.”
“Dey iz after teh French hens an teh colly birds an teh partridge an teh swans an teh milk frum teh milkmayds!”
“You mean, he may get himself up as a colly-something - a beetle-lover - and go and sit solemnly in the meetings at the Town Hall, while everyone is looking for him elsewhere.”
“But after they met us, and digested all the implications, they would develop the colly-wobbles no end.”
“My ain kind dearie, O! Nae herds wi 'kent or colly there,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘colly’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A compilation of those nitty-gritty yucky terms for substances and situations that we prefer not to encounter. Please folks, keep it clean; avoid the overly offensive ones.
Dawn Words in English
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
Soiled, dirty, ruined, spoiled, rotten and the like.
Looking for tweets for colly.