American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Ali 600?-661. Muslim caliph (656-661) after whose assassination Islam was divided into Sunnite and Shiite sects.
- Ali, Muhammad Originally Cassius Marcellus Clay
(klā) Born 1942. American prizefighter who won the world heavyweight title in 1964, 1974, and 1978.
- n. A male given name, derived from the Arabic root `-l-y which means "paramount".
- n. The Muslim caliph Ali ibn Abi Talib, the rejection and assassination of whom, led to the schism between Sunni and Shiite branches. Arabic:(علي بن ابي طالب)
- n. A Muslim surname
- n. A diminutive of the female given names Alison, Alyson, Allyson or Allison, also spelled Allie.
- n. the fourth caliph of Islam who is considered to be the first caliph by Shiites; he was a cousin and son-in-law of Muhammad; after his assassination Islam was divided into Shiite and Sunnite sects
- n. United States prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942)
“ZAHRAA ALI, DAUGHTER: We found out he died when the mosque announced Ali is a hero.”
“Monica Ali is the daughter of English and Bangladeshi parents.”
“His friend, Yasin Ali, who earns 150 Egyptian pounds (£16) a month doing plumbing jobs in the colony, agrees.”
“This October, fearless female boxer and health advocate, Laila Ali is partnering with DoSomething. org to knock out teen obesity in the 'Healthy School Challenge.”
“This October, fearless female boxer and health advocate, Laila Ali is partnering with DoSomething. org to knock out teen obesity in the”
“The Obama administration publicly mourned the passing of Iran's Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri, in an unusual move U.S. officials said was designed to align the White House with Iran's democratic movement.”
“The idea that you could be one hit away from ending up like Muhammad Ali is scary," Utecht said.”
“I called Ali Fahs, the farmer from Souk El Tayeb, to see if he was okay.”
“According to Hirsi Ali, Muslim women – constricted by Islam – cannot be feminists, live independently, enjoy their sexuality or escape the mental shackles that bind their intellect … So now, Ali is in America and finds herself in a political conundrum.”
“Ali is probably the most enthusiastic reader of Stieg Larsson I've yet come across.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Ali’.
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
Looking for tweets for Ali.