American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A clear soup made of strained meat or vegetable stock, served hot or as a cold jelly.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strong, clear soup, containing the nutritive properties of the meat, extracted by long and slow cooking.
- n. a clear broth made from reduced meat or vegetable stock, served either hot as a soup or chilled as a jelly
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Cookery) A clear soup or bouillion boiled down so as to be very rich.
- n. clear soup usually of beef or veal or chicken
- Borrowed from French. (Wiktionary)
- French, from past participle of consommer, to use up, from Latin cōnsummāre, to finish; see consummate. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘consommé’.
Looking for tweets for consommé.