from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of dismissing or sending away (someone).
- n. Removal from office; termination of employment or services.
- n. The setting aside (of something) from consideration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act dismissing or sending away; permission to leave; leave to depart; dismissal.
- n. Removal from office or employment; discharge, either with honor or with disgrace.
- n. Rejection; a setting aside as trivial, invalid, or unworthy of consideration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of sending away; leave or command to depart; dismissal: as, the dismission of the grand jury.
- n. Removal from office or employment; discharge; in universities, the sending away of a student without all the penalties attending expulsion.
- n. In law, a decision that a suit is not or cannot be maintained; rejection as unworthy of being noticed or granted.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. official notice that you have been fired from your job
- n. the termination of someone's employment (leaving them free to depart)
From dismiss. (Wiktionary)