Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In music, fine; clear and mellow; flute-like: as, fluted notes.
- Grooved; furrowed; ornamented or characterized by a series of flutes: as, a fluted column; a fluted ruffle.
- Specifically— In entomology, having parallel grooves or depressions running in a longitudinal direction.
- In armor, ornamented with ridges, corrugations, and the like, which in some cases added also to the utility of the piece as giving greater strength. Suits of armor of the sixteenth century, both Italian and German, are often richly fluted. See cut in next column.
- adj. Having flutes or grooves, either for decoration or to trim weight.
- adj. Ireland, slang Drunk; intoxicated.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of flute.
GNU Webster's 1913
“Devised a plan to "serve words" at the next book fair: could hand out non-alcoholic French verbs and sparkling adjectives in fluted glasses ...”
“He insisted we get shots of Goldschlager (and, man, am I glad the Liqueur With A Gimmick craze has passed), and, when our drinks came in fluted shot glasses with GOLDSCHLAGER written on them in gold leaf, we were captivated.”
“This was the season of birdsong, and their calls fluted through the shadows from every direction.”
“The conduit used here now is a kind of fluted plastic, hard to pass anything through it.”
“Most of them seem to originate from collapsed parts of the semicircular back wall, whereas some decorated blocks such as fluted friezes and parts of door lintels jambs probably belonged to the stage wall (scaenae frons).”
“Of course there are some patterns, such as fluted designs and their like, which cannot be entirely fashioned by the blower; therefore these are first blown as nearly the required size as possible and are then made into the desired form by shutting them inside iron moulds and squeezing them into the proper shape.”
“He threw out a flame-swallowed hand to brace himself against one of the fluted columns guarding the entry.”
“Options is the key word: there are four barrel types (including straight-fluted and helical-fluted), stainless or chrome moly, four finishes, four actions, four stocks, multiple barrel lengths and what looks like 50 calibers from .17 to .458 Lott available in their Mark VII rifle.”
“And, like my old HK91, the fluted chamber makes it impossible to reload.”
“Yes | No | Report from Reid Jones wrote 30 weeks 6 days ago easy. 220 swift light grain weight bullet. big bull barrel. fluted out for easy cooling. that'd be a good day.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fluted’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Delightful words to read and use
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's The Amulet of Samarkand.
This list includes some of my favorite words, graded by aroma, texture and mouthfeel.
words simply fun to say and hear
word list for the centre of the universe.
Looking for tweets for fluted.