from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Icing, as on a cake.
- n. A roughened or speckled surface imparted to glass or metal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sugary coating for cakes and other baked goods.
- n. A layer of frost.
- v. Present participle of to frost.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A composition of sugar and beaten egg, used to cover or ornament cake, pudding, etc.
- n. A lusterless finish of metal or glass; the process of producing such a finish.
- n. the lightened color on part of an object, as of hair, produced by treatment with bleach or other chemicals; as only part of the object is thus treated, the final color of the object is two-toned; also, the process of producing such a two-toned effect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A composition generally made of confectioners' sugar mixed with whites of eggs, used to cover cake, etc.: so called from its white, frosty appearance.
- n. A dead or lusterless surface on metal, or a similar surface on any material, produced by etching or engraving, or by a punch or die.
- n. A material used for decorative work, as signs, etc., made from coarsely powdered thin flakes of glass: commonly in the plural.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flavored sugar topping used to coat and decorate cakes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This frosting is the kind of frosting that won't overwhelm a cupcake because it's plain and not too sweet and I didn't want to take away from the taste of the cake.
Today I brought fudge marble cupcakes to the office, and the frosting is a dusty rose color with purple sprinkles.
The light, fluffy sweetness of the frosting is a perfect contrast to the moist, spicy cupcakes.
Beat in the lemon juice, and the frosting is ready to use.
If the frosting is too stiff it will be hard to work with.
Beat until fairly stiff peaks form but the frosting is still spreadable.
The frosting is a perfect pair with this chocolate cake!
Increase mixer speed to high, and mix until frosting is fluffy and reaches a good spreading consistency.
Beat on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy (the longer you beat the lighter it is, at least 5 mins)
Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 mins.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.