from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sweet delicacy, such as a piece of candy or crystallized fruit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sweet delicacy; a confection
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Fruit preserved with sugar, as peaches, pears, melons, nuts, orange peel, etc.; -- usually in the plural; a confect; a confection.
- n. The paint used in making patent leather.
- n. A boat shell (Crepidula fornicata) of the American coast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sweet thing to eat; an article of confectionery made wholly or principally of sugar; a bonbon: usually in the plural.
- n. Fruit preserved with sugar, either moist or dry; a conserve; a preserve: usually in the plural.
- n. One of the common slipper-limpets of the United States, Crepidula fornicata. See Crepidula.
- n. A varnish for patent leather.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sweetened delicacy (as a preserve or pastry)
Sorry, no etymologies found.