American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A ruffle or flounce on a garment.
- n. A piece of showy ornamentation.
- v. To decorate with a ruffle or flounce.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of stuff plaited and puckered on a gown or petticoat; a plaited or puffed flounce; the plaited border of a petticoat or skirt.
- n. Hence An elaborate adornment of any kind.
- n. The Laminaria bulbosa, a species of seaweed having a large wrinkled frond, found on the coasts of England.
- n. Some part or process like a fringe or flounce.
- To furnish or ornament with furbelows or elaborate embellishments.
- n. A ruffle, frill or flounce on clothing.
- n. A decorative piece of fabric, usually gathered or pleated.
- n. A small, showy ornamentation.
- v. transitive To adorn with a furbelow; to ornament.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A plaited or gathered flounce on a woman's garment.
- v. To put a furbelow on; to ornament.
- n. a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim
- Probably alteration of Provençal farbello, farbella, fringe, perhaps alteration of Italian faldella, pleat, diminutive of falda, flap, loose end, of Germanic origin; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“There wasn't a single frill, flower or furbelow in her house, and he suspected her mind was just as streamlined.”
“For the rest; the dress was made with extreme simplicity, guiltless of flounce or furbelow; it was but the light fabric and bright tint which scared me, and since Graham found in it nothing absurd, my own eye consented soon to become reconciled.”
“Her sex was the very essence of her; she had no need to wear it like a furbelow.”
“Let a woman appear with an unaccustomed furbelow, or a family of a workman that is earning a fat salary, eat two succulent dishes the same week, public opinion will quickly make evident its sentiments, and swiftly put things to rights.”
“Lady Craufurd is now dressing for it, with more roses, blood, and furbelow than were ever yet enlisted (?).”
“A furbelow of precious stones, a hat buttoned with a diamond, a brocade waistcoat or petticoat, are standing topics.”
“B ` ism Allah" (a Moor mounts and dismounts in the name of God), with a man at his stirrups, he sinks without an effort into his saddle, amidst a furbelow of white robes, which he has afterwards arranged carefully for him.”
“The Shaggy Man found his bed = soft and luxurious, so he slipped off his shaggy clothes, carefully = arranging them on a chair so that not one frill or furbelow was out of = place, put on the pajamas which Conjo had also provided for him, and = slipped into bed.”
“Kedzie's soul expanded to the ultimate fringe of the farthest furbelow.”
“The dresses held an atmosphere of evaporated frivolity; flirtations lingered in every frill, and memories of old larks lurked in every furbelow.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘furbelow’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
When you want to be pedantic AND childish.
Words with definitions that have a "hence" in them.
all the words for vagina other than vagina
all your words are belong to me.
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Looking for tweets for furbelow.