American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To press ridges or narrow pleats into (a frill, for example).
- n. An iron used for pressing ridges or narrow pleats.
- n. Ridges or pleats produced in this manner.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To plait, flute, or crimp (lace, etc.).
- To raise in relief, especially for ornamental purposes, as thin metal, starched linen, or the like.
- n. An ornamental plaiting used for the frills and borders of women's caps, etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To plait, flute, or crimp. See gauffer.
- n. an ornamental frill made by pressing pleats
- n. an iron used to press pleats and ridges
- v. make wavy with a heated goffering iron
- n. a zealously energetic person (especially a salesman)
- From French gaufrer (‘stamp with patterned tool’), from gaufre (‘honeycomb’). (Wiktionary)
- French gaufrer, to emboss, from Old French, from gaufre, honeycomb, waffle, of Germanic origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“December 1st, 2009 1:11 pm ET everyone should mind thier own buissness, what he doe's in his own time, is no ones buissiness. he didn't commit a crime, so he had a little spat with his wife, owh care's? even if he is the best goffer, it's not not our place to judge him. i am on his side all the way. mary roberts atwater calif. jim”
“Awl ground up in a greesy grimy goffer sawse tew eet wifout a spoonn( butt (hehe) ai brot a strawww!)”
“I'll bet people are praying to him expecting him to provide them with good luck situations on a whimb like a goffer or a slave.”
“However Its normally an extra mit full of cash in the pot from me as I try and turbo speed goffer the place dry This doesn't sound like a good deal.”
“However Its normally an extra mit full of cash in the pot from me as I try and turbo speed goffer the place dry”
“zone_info": "huffpost. business/blog; business = 1; nickname = dan-solin; entry_id = 389738; insider-trading = 1; schottenfeld-group = 1; sec = 1; stock-market = 1; stock-picking = 1; stocks = 1; zvi-goffer = 1",”
“HPConfig. blog_id = 3; var ads_page_type = 'bpage'; var zone_info = "huffpost. business/blog; business = 1; nickname = dan-solin; entry_id = 389738; insider-trading = 1; schottenfeld-group = 1; sec = 1; stock-market = 1; stock-picking = 1; stocks = 1; zvi-goffer = 1"; if (top!”
“I 'ave curled it with the curling tongs -- not perhaps curl, but what the washerwoman would say -- ` goffer,' and for the rest, can you not see the wire?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘goffer’.
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
There's more than one way to pleat a cat.
Looking for tweets for goffer.