American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that hardens, especially a substance added to varnish or paint to give it a harder surface or finish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which makes hard or more firm and compact; specifically, one who brings cutting instruments or tools up to the required temper; a temperer.
- n. In photography, a chemical, such as alum, which is added to the fixing-bath in the making of gelatin negatives. It prevents the dissolving of the film in warm weather.
- n. One who, or that which, hardens.
- n. A chemical substance added to something in order to harden it; used especially with paints, varnishes and resins.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, hardens; specif., one who tempers tools.
- harden + -er (Wiktionary)
“Bondo is a sort of goop, mixed from polyester resin and a hardener, that is used to fill in dents and dings in battered race cars.”
“He acknowledged that there are times when he uses a performance-enhancing substance: nail hardener.”
“It comes in two tubes, one with steel dust and then a hardener.”
“The closure is first induced by a change in the electrical charge across the membrane, and then by a release of a chemical hardener that cross-links the gelatinous outer membrane coating.”
“I use Stearic Acid as a hardener in almost every candle I make - even if it's just 3-5%, it seems to help.”
“A couple weeks ago I asked a phebotomist, He said it is used in biological systems as a hardener, in teeth of course, and in certain whale's sonar mellons.”
“The haul truck driver furloughed with 600 fellow Steelworkers Feb. 13 from Freeport McMoRan's Chino mine in New Mexico, where they extracted copper and molybdenum, a steel hardener, offers this story:”
“Many experiments have shown that BPA, a synthetic estrogen as well as a plastics hardener, disrupts the endocrine system and causes a growing list of chronic, often permanent disorders in lab animals.”
“It comes with a hardener that must be mixed with the resin and applied within a few hours.”
“It takes 2 parts of resin to 1 part hardener, and they recommend putting the hardener into the mixing cup first, so I used a 5ml medicine spoon to measure out 5ml hardener, then 10ml resin.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hardener’.
Name one or more of the strangest things you've ever had on or around your desk. (Coworkers don't count.) Please explain on the word page for our continuing enjoyment. :-)
Inspired by ...
preserved slice o..., coffee mug shaped..., 11th-century illu..., book from hitler'..., krazy ikes, magic 8 ball, queen of tech ser..., 3 ft.-long hangin..., pickled pig lips, stapler, tennis-ball sized..., 16-channel audio ... and 100 more...
foreign words used in English
Looking for tweets for hardener.