Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, headache on one side of the head; especially, megrim when confined to one side; also, megrim in any form.
- n. pathology A headache affecting one side of the head.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A pain that affects only one side of the head.
- n. a severe recurring vascular headache; occurs more frequently in women than men
- Late Latin hemicrania ("pain in one half of the head"), from Ancient Greek ἡμικρᾱνίᾰ (hemikrania), from ἡμι- (hēmi-, "hemi-, half") + κρανίον (kranion, "skull") (from whence also cranium). (Wiktionary)
“It affects about ten per cent of the population and comes from the Greek word hemicrania, meaning half the head; this refers to the often one-sided excruciating pain.”
“The term comes from hemicrania, which is a Greek work that means "half of the head.”
“A remarkable circumstance attends this kind of hemicrania, viz. that it recurs by periods like those of intermittent fevers, as explained in the”
“(Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) The watering eyes bring to mind cluster headaches, paroxysmal hemicrania, and migraine.”
“Another name for migraine headaches is hemicrania, which reflects the fact that they usually affect one side of the head.”
“No trial was made in cases of angio paralytic hemicrania, since in this affection the drug would be physiologically contraindicated.”
“It is superior to anything else when inhaled in so-called angio-spastic hemicrania, giving rapid relief in the individual paroxysms and prolonging the intervals between the latter.”
“Periodicity has been observed in stammering (a six-weekly period in one case), and notably in hemicrania or migraine, by Harry Campbell, Osler, etc.”
“In India they make a decoction of the plant, mix it with onion juice and apply it to the head as a fomentation in hemicrania.”
“In Brazil, a decoction of the leaves steeped in vinegar is said to relieve hemicrania.”
Resources of the Southern Fields and Forests, Medical, Economical, and Agricultural. Being also a Medical Botany of the Confederate States; with Practical Information on the Useful Properties of the Trees, Plants, and Shrubs
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hemicrania’.
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
Looking for tweets for hemicrania.