from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Work, such as schoolwork or piecework, that is done at home.
- n. Preparatory or preliminary work: did their homework before coming to the meeting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Work that is done at home, especially school exercises set by a teacher.
- n. Preliminary or preparatory work, such as research.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home).
- n. Studies or other preparatory work done prior to some activity; -- usually used of preparations for activities of significance or consequence for the performer.
- n. Paid work done at home, especially piecework.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home)
And in America, doing your homework is the most uncool thing in the world … chris y Says:
To our teacher pals: we're sorry our homework is a bit late.
NEW YORK Reuters - Every evening President Barack Obama is handed what he calls his "homework packet," a thin folder of 10 letters from the American people offering him an unvarnished view of the citizens he governs.
My heart palpitated on cue at the word "homework."
The rest of his "homework" is usually the sort of thing he can do and be done with quickly so we can get on to reading adult-level books or exploring dinosaurs or whatever interests him.
An inability to be on time or do one's homework is enough to flunk a high-schooler; why not a judge?
I applaud the speech and can't wait to discuss it with my children tonight over dinner – hopefully after their homework is done!
Voting good people out of office to avoid doing your homework is irresponsible.
The homework is intense since she's in an accelerated program.
While using lawyers to check their client's homework is not novel, the type of detail required of lawyers in New York pursuing foreclosure cases is.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.