from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Work, such as schoolwork or piecework, that is done at home.
- n. Preparatory or preliminary work: did their homework before coming to the meeting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Work that is done at home, especially school exercises set by a teacher.
- n. Preliminary or preparatory work, such as research.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home).
- n. Studies or other preparatory work done prior to some activity; -- usually used of preparations for activities of significance or consequence for the performer.
- n. Paid work done at home, especially piecework.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home)
From home + work. (Wiktionary)