from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An informal performance by folk singers, typically with participation by the audience.
- n. Informal An unidentified or unidentifiable gadget.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Placeholder word for a nonspecific or forgotten thing (see thingamajig, whatchamacallit)
- n. An informal, festive performance by folk singers, often including audience participation with the use of acoustic instruments.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An informal social gathering or concert featuring mostly folk songs, sometimes dancing, and where the audience often participates in the singing.
- n. Same as whatchamacallit; a thingumbob.
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Unknown; potentially Scottish. Use is tied to the Appalachian culture in the US. (Wiktionary)