from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A device or contrivance; a gadget.
- n. A reddish mark on the skin caused by amorous kissing, biting, or sucking.
- n. A pimple.
- n. Informal A pipe-bending apparatus.
- n. Informal A threaded electrical fitting used to connect a fixture to an outlet box.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bruise-like mark made during petting by pressing the mouth to the skin on one’s partner’s body and sucking.
- n. Used by some speakers to refer to an object whose name is unknown or cannot be recalled.
- n. A printing defect caused by foreign matter on the printing surface resulting in a ring where the ink is missing, appearing as a spot of ink surrounded by a halo.
- n. Local swelling in a tissue area, especially skin, often due to injury.
- n. A tool for making smooth, semicircular bends in conduit and pipe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A device used to adapt a lighting fixture for mounting in an outlet box, or on a pipe.
- n. A red mark on the skin, caused by a passionate, sucking kiss at that location.
- n. a doohickey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a temporary red mark on a person's skin resulting from kissing or sucking by their lover
- n. a small inflamed elevation of the skin; a pustule or papule; common symptom in acne
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)