American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Archaic A diseased person; a leper.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A leper; also, a person infected with any loathsome disease; especially, a beggar so diseased.
- Having a loathsome disease; leprous.
- n. archaic A sufferer of an infectious disease, especially leprosy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A person infected with a filthy or pestilential disease; a leper.
- n. a person afflicted with leprosy
- From the biblical Lazarus (Luke XVI.20). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French lazre, from Late Latin Lazarus, Lazarus, the beggar full of sores in a New Testament parable (Luke 16:20). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“She walked through halls still stained with blood from the dreadful Night of the Risen Dead'the term the lazar used when they spoke of their triumph.”
“It became conspicuous in medieval Europe, prompting the founding of “lazar houses,” or refuges where doomed lepers could rot apart from “clean” folk.”
“I will give one thousand sucres to the lazar-house of Quito if a bull kills a man this day.”
“Without arguing this matter of my general reputation, accepting it at its current face value, let me add that I have indeed lived life in a very rough school and have seen more than the average man's share of inhumanity and cruelty, from the forecastle and the prison, the slum and the desert, the execution-chamber and the lazar-house, to the battlefield and the military hospital.”
“The articles and interviews with bob lazar, however, state that the craft uses wave guides to guide the gravity waves and gravity amplifiers to amplify the waves.”
“Some time ago, Bob lazar claimed he worked at Area 51 between 1988 and 1989 back-engineering alien spacecraft.”
“He shook off the media scrutiny, the turmoil he brought upon his family and the rust of being away from the game he loved to step on the first tee at the Masters and send a lazar down the fairway on the first tee.”
“He evolved into the guy who leaps out brandashing a lazar gun demanding "your money or your licence" .... didn't they hang him?”
“September 19, 2008 at 1:22 am im chargen ma lazar SHOOP DA WOOP”
“I did not have sex with that women, Monica Lewinsky art lazar”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lazar’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Words derived from names, be they historical, literary, or mythological.
for the same
Lista de palabras útiles, raras o esotéricas para Scrabble en Español recopiladas de partidas ordinarias.
Todas las palabras se encuentran en el DRAE.
Algunas palabras po...
Looking for tweets for lazar.