from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of mama.
- n. An organ of female mammals that contains milk-producing glands; a mammary gland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of mama: mother.
- n. The milk-secreting organ of female humans and other mammals which includes the mammary gland and the nipple or teat; a breast; an udder. (plural: mammae)
- n. an accessory cloud like a mammary in appearance, which can form on the underside of most cloud genera
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Mother; -- word of tenderness and familiarity.
- n. A glandular organ for secreting milk, characteristic of all mammals, but usually rudimentary in the male; a mammary gland; a breast; udder; bag.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See mama.
- n. Pl. mammæ (-ē). The mammary gland and associated structures; the characteristic organ of the class Mammalia, which in the female secretes milk for the nourishment of the young; a breast or udder.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of sea-snails of the family Naticidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. informal terms for a mother
- n. milk-secreting organ of female mammals
Latin; see mā-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alternative spelling of mama or momma. (Wiktionary)
From Latin mamma. (Wiktionary)