from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being unable or unwilling to speak as a result of a physical or psychological disorder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A psychological disorder in which the sufferer cannot speak in certain situations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition, state, or habit of being mute, or without speech.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being mute or dumb; silence.
- n. Same as mutage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the condition of being unable or unwilling to speak
From French mutisme, from Latin mutus "mute". (Wiktionary)