American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of the impulse-conducting cells that constitute the brain, spinal column, and nerves, consisting of a nucleated cell body with one or more dendrites and a single axon. Also called nerve cell.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The cerebrospinal axis in its entirety; the whole of the encephalon and myelon, or brain and spinal cord, considered as one.
- n. In entomology, a nervure of an insect's wing; a vein or costa.
- n. Same as neurone.
- n. cytology A cell of the nervous system, which conducts nerve impulses; consisting of an axon and several dendrites. Neurons are connected by synapses.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.), obsolete The brain and spinal cord; the cerebro-spinal axis; myelencephalon.
- n. (Cell Biology) The characteristic specialized cell that is part of the nervous system, serving to conduct electrical impulses to and from the brain, and also between other parts of the body, and composed of a main cell body, the axon, with a varying number of processes of varying length, the dendrites; a nerve cell. The movement and behavior of higher animals depends on the signals tranmsitted by such nerve cells.
- n. a cell that is specialized to conduct nerve impulses
- From New Latin, from Ancient Greek νεῦρον (neuron, "nerve"). (Wiktionary)
- Greek, sinew, string, nerve; see (s)neəu- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A neuron is not a computer program, nor is it 'artificial'.”
“In the experiment, they showed test subjects the six letters in the word neuron and successfully reconstructed the word on screen by measuring brain activity.”
“These neurotransmitters have keys to your neurological mailboxes, which are called neuron receptors.”
“While studying a neuropeptide gene expressed in neuron number R15, I discovered that the gene was also expressed in some other neurons, but that its primary transcript was alternatively spliced in different neurons to give different polyproteins.”
“Fascinating Australian Broadcasting Co science piece on the latest research in neuron production: we do know a couple of things that stimulate brain cell production.”
“An increased release of transmitter each time the sensory neuron is activated leads to a stronger muscle activation.”
“I feel sorry for poor ole Eugene … he’s not working with a full deck … his poor neuron is overloaded and it’s actually quite impressive that he can even type.”
“C3) Microtubules play a key role in neuron function.”
““First off, you don’t even know what a neuron is –””
“Therefore, the presence of c-fos protein in a neuron is an indicator that it has just fired.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘neuron’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
abducens.....draw..., ablation.....carr..., acetylcholine......., adrenalin.....nea..., afferent.....to c..., agnosia.....no kn..., alar.....wing-like, alexia.....no words, alveus.....canal, amacrine.....no l..., ambidextrous........, ambiguus.....doub... and 701 more...
ruptured blood ve..., clot, pressure on a blo..., tumor, brain region, comprehension of ..., production of mea..., autonomic nervous..., conservation of t..., catecholamine, arousal, regulation of sleep and 564 more...
random scientific terms from a group of one hundred 16-18 year olds to choose 100 words that, in their collective opinion, represent crucial factors and concepts influencing trends in science today...
This list collects the magnificent collection of vocabulary of the article "What the F***? Why We Curse," by Steven Pinker, in The New Republic (Oct. 2007). I think I'm more impressed with the coll...
List? What list?
This is the list that makes up the world.
Looking for tweets for neuron.