from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to oil.
- adj. Falsely or smugly earnest; unctuous: oleaginous flattery. See Synonyms at unctuous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Oily, greasy.
- adj. Falsely or affectedly earnest; persuasively suave.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the nature or qualities of oil; oily; unctuous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the qualities of oil; oily; unctuous.
- Figuratively, effusively and affectedly polite or fawning; sanctimonious; oily.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. unpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech
- adj. containing an unusual amount of grease or oil
From Middle English oliaginose and from French oléagineux (from Old French), both from Latin oleāginus, of the olive tree, from olea, olive tree, alteration (influenced by oleum, olive oil) of olīva; see olive.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French oléagineux, from Latin oleāginus, from olea ("the olive fruit and tree"). (Wiktionary)