from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A simple, trusty means of attaining a goal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Open up!
- n. Any successful means of achieving a result, especially means that are magical or technical, or otherwise beyond the understanding of most people.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the magical command which opened the door of the robber's den in the Arabian Nights' tale of “The Forty Thieves;” hence, a magical password.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A charm or form of words by which barriers or obstructions may be opened and access or free passage gained.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a magical command; used by Ali Baba
- n. any very successful means of achieving a result
From the magical formula Open Sesame used by Ali Baba in the Arabian Nights to open the door of the robbers' cave.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Translating French Sésame ouvre-toi, in Galland's version of the Ali Baba story in the One Thousand and One Nights, apparently based on an oral Arabic source. (Wiktionary)