American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A simple, trusty means of attaining a goal.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A charm or form of words by which barriers or obstructions may be opened and access or free passage gained.
- interj. Open up!
- n. Any successful means of achieving a result, especially means that are magical or technical, or otherwise beyond the understanding of most people.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the magical command which opened the door of the robber's den in the Arabian Nights' tale of “
The Forty Thieves;” hence, a magical password.
- n. a magical command; used by Ali Baba
- n. any very successful means of achieving a result
- Translating French Sésame ouvre-toi, in Galland's version of the Ali Baba story in the One Thousand and One Nights, apparently based on an oral Arabic source. (Wiktionary)
- From the magical formula Open Sesame used by Ali Baba in the Arabian Nights to open the door of the robbers' cave. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘open sesame’.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
My O Words
Incantations or other Forceful Utterances
klaatu barada nikto, azarath, metrion,..., abracadabra, hocus pocus alima..., open sesame, the power of chri..., lord, hear our pr..., the body of christ, this is my blood, this is my body, oh winged horse o..., shazam and 13 more...
Looking for tweets for open sesame.