American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A particular manner of speaking; idiom: legal parlance.
- n. Speech, especially a conversation or parley.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Speech; conversation; discourse; talk; language; manner of expression; conference.
- n. In common parlance, in the usual mode of speech; in ordinary language.
- n. A certain way of speaking, of using words, especially when it comes to those with a particular job or interest.
- n. archaic, rare Speech, discussion or debate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Conversation; discourse; talk; diction; phrase.
- n. a manner of speaking that is natural to native speakers of a language
- From Anglo-Norman parlance, parlaunce, from parler ("to talk") + -ance. (Wiktionary)
- Middle French, from Old French, from parler, to speak; see parley. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Erica - FYI - Opposition Research in campaign parlance is not research you conduct on your opponent, but rather research you do on yourself in an effort to glean what they will find out about you.”
“Narcissism, in psycho-therapeutic parlance, is a term used to indicate a superficial personality type with a hyper-inflated sense of self to compensate for a grievously wounded core.”
“He's the guy, in American parlance, who cracks heads, makes it happen, says Joel Rubin, deputy director of the National Security Network, a Washington, D.C., foreign policy think tank.”
“The Democrats are still true to their heritage of the party of local notables, or in American parlance of Bourbon Democrats and urban political machines.”
““… The use of the word ‘regime’ in American political parlance is unacceptable, and someone should tell the walrus [Limbaugh] to stop using it.””
“The term the legacy of slavery, while in popular parlance, is rarely ever quantified.”
“Now Tiger #1 is, in American parlance, a key comic.”
“McCain's Mixed Signals on Foreign Policy" (Paul Richter, Los Angeles Times) In today's parlance, is McCain a "realist" or "neocon"?”
“The definition of design, as used in ID parlance is not associated with intelligence at all, it is simply saying something that is not describable by simple stochastic processes or regularity are designed:”
“The definition of design, as used in ID parlance is not associated with intelligence at all, it is simply saying something that is not describable by simple stochastic processes or regularity are designed”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘parlance’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
words on words. yyep.
All my favourite words that I come across!
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Antiquated words that need to yet again become part of our daily parlance.
Looking for tweets for parlance.