from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The way in which words and phrases are used in speech or writing; style.
- n. A set of expressions used by a particular person or group: nautical phraseology.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. study of set or fixed expressions
- n. the style in which words and phrases are used in writing or speech
- n. a group of specialized words and expressions used by a particular group
- n. a collection of phrases; a phrasebook
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Manner of expression; peculiarity of diction; style.
- n. A collection of phrases; a phrase book.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The form of words used in ex pressing some idea or thought; mode or style of expression; the particular words or phrases combined to form a sentence, or the method of arranging them; diction; style.
- n. A collection of phrases and idioms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the manner in which something is expressed in words
From Ancient Greek φράσις + λόγος (Wiktionary)