from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.
- n. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An irrational or obsessive fear or anxiety, usually of or about something particular.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any morbid uncontrollable dread or fear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an anxiety disorder characterized by extreme and irrational fear of simple things or social situations
From -phobia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
c 1790, from words ending in -phobia, from Ancient Greek φόβος (phobos, "fear"). Compare ism, from -ism, itis, from -itis, and ana, from -ana. (Wiktionary)