from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The leading woman soloist in an opera company.
- n. A temperamental, conceited person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The principal female singer or the leading lady.
- n. A person who considers himself or herself much more important than others, has high expectations of others and becomes angry when his or her standards or demands are not met.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The first or chief female singer in an opera.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vain and temperamental person
- n. a distinguished female operatic singer; a female operatic star
Italian : prima, feminine of primo, first + donna, lady.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian prima donna ("first lady"), from Latin prīma, feminine of prīmus ("first") + domina ("lady"). (Wiktionary)