from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- conj. On the condition; if: will pay the bonus provided the job is completed on time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- conj. Only if (the stipulation that follows is true).
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of provide.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- conj. On condition; by stipulation; with the understanding; if; -- usually followed by that.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- This (or it) being understood, conceded, or established; on (this) condition; on these terms: in this sense always introducing a clause of condition or exception, and followed by that (expressed or understood).
Sorry, no etymologies found.