American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A variation of baseball played on a smaller diamond with a larger, softer ball that is pitched underhand.
- n. The ball used in this game.
- n. A game similar to baseball but played with a larger and softer ball which can be thrown overhand or underhand.
- n. by analogy A question designed to be easy to answer.
- n. The ball used to play the sport.
- n. ball used in playing softball
- n. a game closely resembling baseball that is played on a smaller diamond and with a ball that is larger and softer
- 1926 (Wiktionary)
“The rule in softball is the players can't lead off the base, however they can run and potentially steal bases as soon as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.”
“Regardless, this is really a case about nothing more than ringers in softball leagues, hardly a new phenomenon even if this case adds an additional wrinkle.”
“No current Dem leader would threaten such a thing because under Washington rules, only manly Republicans are allowed to play hardball — for Democrats to play anything but softball is unseemly.”
“Each summer, the "Bleacher Creatures" organize a round-robin softball tournament of four teams playing for the Ali Ramirez trophy.”
“The International Olympic Committee voted in 2005 to drop baseball and softball from the Summer Games after this year's Beijing Games.”
“Also, anent the dropping of baseball/softball from the Olympics, the ECONOMIST published this list of other sports that were dropped.”
“At a July 2005 meeting, IOC members voted 52-52, with one abstention, to cut softball from the Olympic program after the 2008 Games.”
“Mike Candrea, the U.S. Olympic coach and University of Arizona head coach, expects such growth to be affected when softball is no longer in the Olympics.”
“One daughter is going to Band Camp, the other is playing in softball tournaments, and the son is going to summer camp.”
“Registration is underway now for fall leagues in softball, soccer, volleyball, basketball and bowling.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘softball’.
A list of games and sports played with a ball, including names of the courts, fields and pitches in which they are played.
I'll start the list with Basque pelota, which is played in Id...
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Looking for tweets for softball.