from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music The fifth tone of the diatonic scale in solfeggio.
- n. An old French coin worth 12 deniers.
- n. See Table at currency.
- n. A colloidal solution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fifth step in the solfège scale of C (Ut), preceded by fa and followed by la.
- n. A solar day on Mars (equivalent to 24 hours, 39 minutes, 35 seconds).
- n. Gold.
- n. A Spanish-American gold or silver coin, now the main currency unit of Peru (also new sol), or a coin of this value.
- n. A type of colloid in which a solid is dispersed in a liquid.
- n. An old French coin consisting of 12 deniers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sun.
- n. Gold; -- so called from its brilliancy, color, and value.
- n. A syllable applied in solmization to the note G, or to the fifth tone of any diatonic scale.
- n. The tone itself.
- n. A sou.
- n. A silver and gold coin of Peru. The silver sol is the unit of value, and is worth about 68 cents.
- n. A fluid mixture of a colloid and a liquid; a liquid colloidal solution or suspension.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sun. See Phœbus.
- n. In heraldry, a tincture, the metal or, or gold, in blazoning by planets, as in the arms of sovereigns. See blazon, n., 2.
- n. In alchemy, gold.
- n. An old French coin, the twentieth part of the livre, and equivalent to twelve deniers. At the revolution it was superseded by the sou.
- n. A current silver coin of Peru, of the same weight and fineness as the French 5-franc piece. Gold pieces of 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 sols are also struck. Also sole.
- n. In solmization, the syllable used for the fifth tone of the scale, or dominant. In the scale of C this tone is G, which is therefore called sol in France, Italy, etc.
- n. An abbreviation of solution.
- n. An abbreviation of Solicitor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a colloid that has a continuous liquid phase in which a solid is suspended in a liquid
- n. (Roman mythology) ancient Roman god; personification of the sun; counterpart of Greek Helios
- n. the syllable naming the fifth (dominant) note of any musical scale in solmization
And while they battled, the sun stood still. solstice is derived from the Latin word sol, which means sun, and sistere, which means to stand still.
We have just passed the summer solstice, (from the Latin sol for sun and sistere for standing still) the time when the earth “stands still” in a moment that has come to mark the separation of seasons.
Priyanka of Lajawaab showcases the coconut in this pretty pink Solkadhi, a medley of coconut milk and a special fruit called the sol or amsul.
A sol is a Martian day, which lasts 24 hours, 39 minutes, 35 seconds.
They are usually created by adding an acid to a liquid with a solid suspended in it, known as a sol, or illuminating a sol with a flash of UV light.
(A sol is the standard silver coin of Peru, and is worth in United States gold about fifty cents.) "Half a dollar a day more will look mighty big to them," went on the contractor.
His program note explains the gyrations: "In L.S.O., L equals the solfège syllable la, which is the note A; S becomes the note that is known as Es pronounced s in German, which is what English speakers call E flat; and O elides with the preceding S to suggest the solfège syllable sol, which is the note G."
When one of them is seen going along, people say: that is the sol, that is the mi, or that is the re of M. Narischkin.
Black Ink is a crossword sol ving application for Mac OS X, Black Ink's intuitive interface and advanced puzzle solving tools are a joy for crossword lovers of all ages and skills.
go where. i'm not in a bad mood, its just see- i'm hanging around in my boxers & i'd have to put clothes on again & they're all wet, &. there was this cheesy movie on called sol goode & it wasn't that bad & at the end the the boy got the girl. & it had a cowboy in it named happy.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.