from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To seize, hold, or manipulate with tongs.
- n. A Chinese association or political party.
- n. An association or a secret society of Chinese in the United States, believed to be involved in organized crime.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument or tool used for manipulating things in a fire without touching them with the hands.
- v. To use tongs.
- v. To grab, manipulate or transport something using tongs.
- n. A Chinese secret society or gang.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Tongue.
- n. In China, an association, secret society, or organization of any kind; in the United States, usually, a secret association of Chinese such as that of the highbinders; in the U. S. the tongs have been frequently associated with criminal activity and gang warfare.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a number of holding- and lifting-instruments of various forms.
- n. [Tongs were formerly used in rough burlesque music:
- n. In diamond-cutting, a two-footed wooden stand that has at one end a vise-like iron holder, into which the dop containing the diamond is fastened, holding the diamond against the wheel.
- n. plural A device for anchoring the body of a car to the track when it is not in use.
- n. plural Trousers.
- To seize, hold, or take with tongs.
- To handle or use tongs; capture something, as oysters, with tongs.
- n. An old spelling of tongue.
Back-formation from tongs.
Chinese (Cantonese) t'ōng, assembly hall, familial relationship between cousins, equivalent to Chinese (Mandarin) táng.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English tange, from a Germanic root. Cognate to Old Norse tǫng (modern Icelandic töng), Old High German zanga (modern German Zange). Other cognates include Sanskrit दशति (daśati, "to bite") and Albanian dang ("bite, nip"). (Wiktionary)
From Cantonese. (Wiktionary)