from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man's dress jacket, usually black with satin or grosgrain lapels, worn for formal or semiformal occasions. Also called dinner jacket.
- n. A complete outfit including this jacket, trousers usually with a silken stripe down the side, a bow tie, and often a cummerbund.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A typically black formal jacket worn by men
- n. The entire suit complementing and including this jacket
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of black jacket for semiformal evening dress made without tails, usually of black or dark blue color and having satin or grosgrain facing on the lapels; -- so named after a fashionable country club at Tuxedo Park, New York.
- n. The complete semiformal evening suit, including the tuxedo jacket, matching trousers, and black bow tie, and usually including a cummerbund; -- the style of shirt worn with this suit varies, and the outfit may include a dickey.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as Tuxedo coat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. semiformal evening dress for men
Of course, these days practically everyone uses the term tuxedo, both in the U.S. and across the pond.
Curiously, few even know what the word "tuxedo" means anymore.
And the miracles we hope and believe are just about to occur: Graham the pit bull; Rocky the beagle; a 3-month-old and cuter than should be legal American bulldog named Hazel; 7-year-old yellow lab sisters Stella and Fuoco; brother white bunnies with black ears and noses, Charlie and Oliver; a gorgeous green-eyed, long-haired red tabby named Janis; a calico kitty unimaginatively named Kitty but, hey, you can change the name; and a remarkable number of black-and-white or what we call tuxedo cats of all sizes and ages.
Ford previously told its dealers it stopped taking orders for F-150 pick up trucks and other models in the color it calls "tuxedo black."
But "let me be clear" a pig in a tuxedo, is still a pig no matter how hard you squint.
The first time I heard Intelligent Design, even as a Christian, I thought along the lines of "creationism in tuxedo".
The male members of the club followed his example, and the style soon spread to New York City, where it was dubbed the "tuxedo."
But significant questions linger, like when and where the coat was truly born, or even why it's called the tuxedo.
The first gentleman misinterpreted and told all of his friends that he saw a man wearing a jacket without coattails called a tuxedo, not from Tuxedo.
Ford has stopped taking orders for a color called "tuxedo black" and is limiting production of vehicles painted in three shades of red.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.