from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The psychic and emotional energy associated with instinctual biological drives.
- n. Sexual desire.
- n. Manifestation of the sexual drive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Sexual urges or drives.
- n. Drives or mental energies related or based on sexual instincts but not necessarily sexual in and of themselves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Sexual desire; the sexual instinct; the sex drive.
- n. Those desires and instinctual energies which are derived from the id.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (psychoanalysis) a Freudian term for sexual urge or desire
Latin libīdō, desire; see leubh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin libīdō ("lust, desire"). Used originally in psychoanalytic contexts. (Wiktionary)