from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- interj. Used to express doubt or uncertainty or to fill a pause when hesitating in speaking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of µm.
- interj. Expression of confusion or space filler in conversation. See uh.
- v. To make the um sound to express confusion or hesitancy.
- prep. Alternative form of umbe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as om.
- n. A prefix of Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian origin, meaning ‘around, about,’ cognate with ambi- and amphi-. It was formerly common, but is now wholly obsolete, except in a few Scotch words.
Further and further away we started finding some success.. however unfortunately.. for our um personal..um reasons.. those we chose not to stay at.
I will……um……..send…….um…….the ACLU a um, um Christmas card………um…..because…..um…….they exist?
Lady: Uh .. um … well, I’m trying to … I mean, no ma’am there is no Lakisha here….um….
"Japhet," replied Mr Cophagus; "um, scriptural -- Shem, Ham, _um_ -- and so on.
If I may please, didn't Cain ... um .... murder Abel?
This guy ... doesn't prescribe Lyrica, since it's a "newer drug that I don't know much about" (to which I was like, um, is it not your job to keep up on the newer drugs? and also Lyrica's been around for quite a while and is the medication most often used to treat my condition, dude), and doesn't prescribe "any sleep aids" (despite the very high comorbidity of insomnia).
I'm 47 in um .. 11 days and keep telling everyone I'm 'knocking 50'.
I found certain um, scenes in the beginning very disturbing.
If I'm wrong I apologize, but I call um as I see um.
Powders put in um, sensitive areas, will burn, sting and be uncomfortable with those essential oils.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.