from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An upper undergarment, typically having short or no sleeves, worn next to the skin under a shirt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an upper undergarment with no collar, and with short or no sleeves, worn next to the skin under a shirt; a singlet or (British) a vest
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A shirt worn next the skin, under another shirt; -- called also undervest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shirt or similar garment, as of woolen, worn under a shirt and next to the skin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a collarless men's undergarment for the upper part of the body
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Listen, I'm looking at this photo of Ripley in her underwear, from the original -- the undershirt is the same, but these briefs -- I think maybe they aren't really women's briefs, I think these are men's, like a Speedo version of undies.
But from my personal experience during the spring, summer and fall a shirt without undershirt is usually comfortable except on the very hottest days.
During the winter a shirt with an undershirt is usually sufficient except on overcast and colder days when a light jacket will help.
His bones stick out into his grimy undershirt, which is all he wears over patched tan trousers.
Beneath his undershirt were the plastic-looking scars from his last gold star, when a German 88 round had lanced through the armor of his tank, setting the ammo racks afire while he'd brought his 76mm gun around for one last shot and extinguished that Kraut gun crew while his clothing burned.
Austria says the undershirt is a good place to start.
We think the clean-laundry smell of you in your undershirt is a thousand times more appealing than even the best cologne.
So as far as clothed moments went prior to age 13, I wore an "undershirt" that had straps at the shoulders so it had the appearance of a proper foundational garment and it seemed to serve me well.
Quickly, Protag removed his boxers and undershirt.
And as I was runnin 'through this field I threw the undershirt away.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.