from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of north-central North Carolina east of Greensboro. Settled c. 1750, it is the seat of Duke University (founded 1838). Population: 209,000.
- n. See shorthorn.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The name signed by alternate bishops of Durham (see Duresm).
- proper n. A city in county Durham in the Northeast of England.
- proper n. A county in the Northeast of England.
- n. One of a breed of short-horned cattle, originating in the county of Durham, England, and noted for their beef-producing quality.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One or a breed of short-horned cattle, originating in the county of Durham, England. The Durham cattle are noted for their beef-producing quality.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a breed of shorthorn cattle, so named from the county of Durham in England, where they are brought to great perfection: also used attributively: as, the Durham breed; Durham cattle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English breed of short-horned cattle
- n. a city of north central North Carolina; site of Duke University
FREDA BLACK, DURHAM COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, DISTRICT ATTORNEY CANDIDATE: Durham has been portrayed in a negative light nationally.
DURHAM — A Durham congregation will launch a hip-hop church Sunday to reflect the clothing, music and thinking of a counter-culture movement that has become a powerful and profitable influence over the past two decades.
DURHAM -- Michael Vick will be in Durham this morning, speaking to students at New Horizons Academy about animal cruelty.
More than 450 kids cheer on helicopter in symbolic flight DURHAM -- As their hand-held Olympic flags flapped under the wind of helicopter propellers, hundreds of Durham students screamed with spirit for the 2010 games.
DURHAM, N.H. (AP) - Police say a 20-year-old New Hampshire man has died after crashing his motorcycle in Durham.
DURHAM -- A sharecropper's daughter who came to Durham seeking a better life, Virginia Lee Williams had no ambitions of becoming a civil rightspioneer.
DURHAM, N.C. -- Crystal Gail Mangum, 31, known as the accuser in the Duke lacrosse case, was arrested after police say she set her apartment on fire and tried to kill her boyfriend around midnight Wednesday while her three young children and two Durham police officers were in the home.
DURHAM -- A sharecropper's daughter who came to Durham seeking a better Virginia Lee Williams had no ambitions of becoming a civil rightspioneer.
DURHAM -- After four years, the city of Durham is back in the mulch and compost time it's all legal.
DURHAM -- Police are trying to identify a suspect who defrauded a Durham senior by posing as her grandson.