from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Representing a loud noise or heavy impact.
- interj. Representing a sudden or abrupt occurrence.
- n. ned, bampot.
- n. A jocular imposition, the same as a humbug.
- v. (slang, archaic) To impose on (someone) by a falsehood; to cheat.
- v. To jeer or make fun of.
- Bare Arse Minimum
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An imposition; a cheat; a hoax.
- transitive v. To cheat; to wheedle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bam-boozle; cheat; hoax; wheedle.
- To practise hoaxing or imposition.
- n. A cheat; a hoax; an imposition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient city in southeastern Iran; destroyed by an earthquake in 2003
- n. a sudden very loud noise
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“The bam was the glut and vomit of glass and wood and stone that was hurled into the little green park before me.”
The other side of the bam was a pala - tial apartment, with videoscreens on three walls.
Z target and fire you bomarang it will be stunned attack with sword bam!
I saw the revival of Brighton Beach and was waiting for the next show, and then, "bam," three days later it closed.
I mean seriously ... every time I see his picture on this site I get excited for some MacGyver news and then 'bam' ...
I thought that game was only reserved for retirees in Boynton Beach, but my friends are starting early and joining leagues where they scream at the top of their lungs, "bam," "crack," "dragon" and finally "mah jong!"
And let's not forget that the temptation to use "bam" and "zowie" and "pow" headlines was a bit too much to resist for headline writers and comedians.
However, a quick googling produced several results confirming his pronunciation ("pronounced as if to rhyme with 'bam'"; "Cholame (pronounced 'Shoal-lamb')"; "Cholame (pronounced Sholam)"; etc.), so I think you've simply been unaware of the local pronunciation.
Not a "bam" nor a "wham", but more of a "whplam", like the truck had just run over a loose cattleguard, or a piece of heavy plastic in the road.
So, Hasmet (ph) arrives, figuring some sort of chemical spill, starts removing the toxic soil, and "bam" a shovel slams into his shoulder blade.