from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Skillful in using one's hands; manually adroit. See Synonyms at dexterous.
- adj. Readily accessible: found a handy spot for the hammer.
- adj. Useful; convenient: a handy tool.
- adj. Easy to use or handle: a handy reference book.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Easy to use, useful.
- adj. Nearby, within reach.
- adj. dexterous, skilful
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Performed by the hand.
- adj. Skillful in using the hand; dexterous; ready; adroit.
- adj. Ready to the hand; near; also, suited to the use of the hand; convenient; valuable for reference or use
- adj. Easily managed; obedient to the helm; -- said of a vessel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Performed by the hand; manual.
- Skilful in using the hands; performing with skill or readiness; dexterous; adroit.
- Marked by readiness or dexterity; deft; facile.
- Suited to the use of the hand; ready to the hand; convenient; timely: as, my books are very handy; this is a handy tool.
- [Handy in composition, in some words formed in imitation of handywork, handiwork, is a variant of hand. See following entries.] Synonyms Expert, clever.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. skillful with the hands
- n. United States blues musician who transcribed and published traditional blues music (1873-1958)
- adj. easy to use
- adj. easy to reach
The only time shutdown - a comes in handy is when there's a countdown timer on screen, started by Windows.
There is a very interesting book on this subject, sorry don't have the title handy, google is your friend.
Unfortunately I didn't have the title handy when I blogged about it.
The ubiquitous term handy which every German speaker automatically assumes to be a genuine English term.
Where it really comes in handy is file open/save dialogs or any Explorer window — you can simply use the middle-click function to show the menu, and once you’ve selected something, Folder Menu will automatically navigate to the correct folder from within the dialog.
Another time this will come in handy is if you’re cooking at a friend’s home where they don’t stock the same spices that you do, and you’re trying to season a favorite dish.
A fun exercise for intro level physics students is to read a paper that came out in scientific American a few years ago I’m sorry but I don’t have the title handy on MOND.
We have a recording of this conversation, but I’ll keep your name handy so we’ll know who to blame if the facts in your article are wrong.
Their efforts have come in handy for several young children, who reported that they knew how to react when they encountered fire in their own homes.
Mr. Boren, who works for Google, was chided for having a Google phone, but it came in handy because he could bring up a road map of the area and see which routes were marked in green (flowing traffic) to yellow and red (congestion).