from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
- intransitive verb To act as a shill.
- intransitive verb To act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise).
- intransitive verb To lure (a person) into a swindle.
from The Century Dictionary.
- A variant of
- To sound; shrill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb Prov.ng. To put under cover; to sheal.
- transitive verb Obs. or Prov. Eng. To shell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A person paid to
endorsea product favourably, while pretending to be impartial.
- noun An accomplice at a confidence trick during an auction or gambling game.
- verb pejorative To
promoteor endorsein return for payment, especially dishonestly.
- verb To put under cover; to
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb act as a shill
- noun a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Post have so much more merit when they don't use the term shill or phrase: partisan hack.
The idea that the White House might try to infiltrate the press corps with a shill is a chilling thought in this democracy, but this is the administration that has been caught paying “journalists” and generating its own prefabricated “news reports” to distribute to TV stations too naïve to recognize the attempt at propaganda.
Watch Senator Al "Kick-Ass" Franken wipe up the floor with this health-care-lobby shill from the Hudson Institute who claimed that universal healthcare would increase medical bankruptcies.
Don't take offense to that comment, I have just always wanted to use the word shill in a sentance.
His current mission, as ranking shill, is to 3-card-Monty the herd.
I used the word shill in reference to the checkered career of S.
This kind of leadership is dangerous and has one and only one description - facism Report Abuse Darryl "BOOM BOOM" Issa is a long term shill for corporate interests.
The definition of the word shill is someone being paid.
They love to see me characterized as a shill and a geeky sportswriter who was always picked last in pickup games.
I used the word shill as a hat tip to said Mr Singer’s habit of taking money from the industries he is paid to cover for.