from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adverb Down the slope of a hill.
- adverb Toward a lower or worse condition.
- adjective Sloping downward; descending.
- adjective Sports Of, relating to, or constituting skiing down a slope.
- adjective Marked by deterioration or worsening performance; worse.
- adjective Involving fewer challenges or less difficulty than before; easier.
- noun A downhill skiing race on a course without slalom gates.
- noun A downward gradient; a descending slope.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Sloping downward; descending; declining.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Declivity; descent; slope.
- adjective Declivous; descending; sloping.
- adverb Towards the bottom of a hill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adverb Down a
located downa slopeor hill
goingdown a slope or a hill
- adjective by extension
- adjective by extension
deteriorating, getting worse
- noun uncountable The fastest of the
disciplinesof alpine skiing
- noun countable A rapid descent of a hill in related sports, especially in
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adverb toward a lower or inferior state
- noun a ski race down a trail
- adverb toward the bottom of a hill
- adjective sloping down rather steeply
- noun the downward slope of a hill
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
But he made one mistake just before a big jump, and one mistake in downhill is all it takes.
• His fourth-place finish in the downhill is the only time this season Miller hasn't reached the podium in a race that he finished.
Vonn won a gold in downhill and bronze in super-G at these Olympics.
Other than that, the U.S. men have gotten off to a desultory start, with only diminutive 5-6 downhiller Andy Weibrecht, 23, distinguishing himself with 12th-place finishes last weekend in downhill and super-G.
I'm not going to compete in downhill skiing or ice dancing.
Triple 2010 Olympic medalist Miller missed the World Cup finals with an ankle injury and finished 20th overall, 17th in downhill, 18th in super-G and fifth in super-combined.
As I say, it all went downhill from the Edwardians. jt Says:
In the summers, Del Bosco competed in downhill mountain bike races.
At the 2006 Olympics, when Vonn, then 21, crashed in downhill training and failed to win a medal while racing through the pain in her back and hip, she still had some baby fat.
On inclined roofs the efflorescence stain may occur downhill from the source of the leak on the roof and not directly above the stain.