from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a high degree; extremely: very happy; very much admired.
- adv. Truly; absolutely: the very best advice; attended the very same schools.
- adv. Used in titles: the Very Reverend Jane Smith.
- adj. Complete; absolute: at the very end of his career; the very opposite.
- adj. Being the same one; identical: the very question she asked yesterday.
- adj. Being particularly suitable or appropriate: the very item needed to increase sales.
- adj. Being precisely as stated: the very center of town.
- adj. Mere: The very thought is frightening.
- adj. Actual: caught in the very act of stealing.
- adj. Genuine; true: "Like very sanctity, she did approach” ( Shakespeare).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. True, real, actual
- adj. The same; identical.
- adj. With limiting effect: mere.
- adv. to a great extent or degree; extremely; exceedingly
- adv. true, truly
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. True; real; actual; veritable.
- adv. In a high degree; to no small extent; exceedingly; excessively; extremely.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- True; real; actual; veritable: now used chiefly in an intensive sense, or to emphasize the identity of a thing mentioned with that which was in mind: as, to destroy his very life; that is the very thing that was lost: in the latter use, often with same: as, the very same fault.
- [Very is occasionally used in the comparative degree, and more frequently in the superlative.
- Truly; actually.
- In a high degree; to a great extent; extremely; exceedingly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. used as intensifiers; `real' is sometimes used informally for `really'; `rattling' is informal
- adv. precisely so
- adj. being the exact same one; not any other:
- adj. precisely as stated
Often the exposure is short-lived and very harmful but black hat techniques can show up * very* successfully early on, that's the way these tricksters are poised.
It is trivially easy to make your superior look very *very* bad, and all while not quite doing anything that will get you in trouble if the case is that your superior is a total *ss.
Ten Heroes…not one Medal of Honor recipient…shows where focus is.very sad..very very sad ross berg-buffalo ny
I changed my fish oil when i got back from trip and this one has a reasonable DHA content versus my previous and my appetite is noticeably reduced..very very noticeably.
The ones who *don't* overlap that sub-set are the Christian school-at-homers who most certainly do produce TRADITIONALLY educated students who perform at traditional classroom activities very *very* well.
I do have to say that I loved the photo of the young lady with her 'swain' in his kilt..very very classy.
In Incredible Hulk #401, Agamemmnon reveals to the Hulk that he ages very slowly and may even be immortal, has a youthful appearance *very* similar to Bucky's, and that he occasionally has left the Mount over the decades to go adventuring.
This was a very tiny study with a *very* small number of participants, no doubt handpicked to get the response that the people doing the study were looking for.
I could then clearly see two sets of very large claws come out from under a trap door beneath the fridge and behind them a large snout and *very* big teeth.
This is a serious problem for the boy scouts and even the girl scouts have very strict rules about children ever *ever* being alone with only one adult and they have a right to enforce as best they can an environment where it is *very* clear that sexual activity between boys or between scout leaders and boys is not in any way acceptable.