from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • intransitive v. To make a continuous low-pitched buzzing or humming sound.
  • intransitive v. To move while making such a sound.
  • intransitive v. To climb suddenly and sharply. Used of an airplane.
  • intransitive v. To move about rapidly; swoop.
  • intransitive v. To simulate movement rapidly away from or toward a subject using a zoom lens.
  • intransitive v. Computer Science To cause text or other graphics in a window or frame to appear larger on the screen.
  • transitive v. To cause to zoom.
  • n. The act or sound of zooming.
  • n. A zoom lens.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a humming noise from something moving very fast
  • n. a quick ascent
  • n. a big increase
  • n. an augmentation of a view as with a lens
  • v. to move fast with a humming noise
  • v. to fly an airplane straight up
  • v. to move rapidly
  • v. to go up sharply
  • v. to change the focal length of a zoom lens
  • v. to manipulate a display so as to magnify or shrink it

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. rise rapidly
  • n. the act of rising upward into the air
  • v. move with a low humming noise
  • v. move along very quickly
  • n. a rapid rise


(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1892 verb, 1918 noun, 1942 interjection. Originally imitative of a sound. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.