from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Rhine River or the lands bordering on it.
- n. See Rhine wine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. From, residing or located by, or pertaining to the Rhine.
- n. wine from the area around the Rhine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the river Rhine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the Rhine, a river of Europe which rises in Switzerland, traverses Germany and the Netherlands, and empties into the North Sea.
- n. Rhine or Rhenish wine. See wine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the Rhine River and the lands adjacent to it
- n. any of several white wines from the Rhine River valley in Germany (`hock' is British usage)
Ultimately from Latin Rhēnus, the Rhine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Rhine + -ish (with the first element taking a Latinate form; see Rhenus) (Wiktionary)