from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Fit for cultivation, as by plowing.
- n. Land fit to be cultivated.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. suitable for cultivation, such as by ploughing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Fit for plowing or tillage; -- hence, often applied to land which has been plowed or tilled.
- n. Arable land; plow land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fit for plowing or tillage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of farmland) capable of being farmed productively
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin arābilis, from arāre, to plow.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old French arable, from the Latin adjective arabilis, from arō ("I plow"). Confer the English verb ear ("to plow"). (Wiktionary)