from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- prep. Apart from the occurrence of; excepting: Barring strong headwinds, the plane will arrive on schedule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of bar.
- n. the exclusion of someone; blackballing
- prep. Unless something happens; excepting; in the absence of
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the act of excluding someone by a negative vote or veto.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mining, timber used for supporting the roof or sides of shafts.
- Excepting; leaving out of the account; apart from: as, barring accidents, I shall be there.
- n. In machine-sewing, the sewing of a decorative bar or tack upon a fabric or upon leather, the bar being composed of a series of long stitches crossed by short stitches. Sometimes called tacking. See buttonholemachine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of excluding someone by a negative vote or veto
Sorry, no etymologies found.