from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The rank of expert in a martial art such as judo or karate.
- n. The black sash that symbolizes this rank of proficiency.
- n. A person who has attained this rank.
- n. A region of rich, black soil.
- n. An area having a predominantly Black population.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The highest belt colour in various martial arts.
- n. Someone who has attained a black belt
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a comedy that treats of morbid, tragic, gloomy, or grotesque situations as a major element of the plot.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who attained the rank of expert in the martial arts (judo or karate)
- n. a black sash worn to show expert standards in the martial arts (judo or karate)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.