American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An artisan specializing in making fine articles of wooden furniture.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose occupation is the making of household furniture, such as cabinets, sideboards, tables, bedsteads, etc.
- n. One who busies himself unauthorizedly with constructing a governmental cabinet; a politician or busybody who speculates on or needlessly troubles himself with the selection of cabinet ministers and the formation of a cabinet.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One whose occupation is to make cabinets or other choice articles of household furniture, as tables, bedsteads, bureaus, etc.
- n. a woodworker who specializes in making furniture
“Best [cabinetmaker and sometime special constable], J.W. Bell [auctioneer].”
“For a couple of years, he worked with a cabinetmaker.”
“A year after my trip, I needed a cabinetmaker in my small town in Massachusetts.”
“The vases are now on view as part of the Museum's exhibition of New York cabinetmaker Duncan Phyfe's work.”
“There's the mahogany buffet that her father, a cabinetmaker, designed in the 1940s.”
“The gallery show includes works by the 19th-century Scottish immigrant and cabinetmaker to the rich and famous, as well as those by his contemporaries, and numerous additional decorative works of his time.”
“Other rooms also offer their treasures, including a highly decorative, gold-gilt and black cabinet from the last quarter of the 18th century, made with tortoiseshell, brass and ebony marquetry, and stamped by famed cabinetmaker Joseph Baumhauer.”
“In 1960, while working for a cabinetmaker, Mr. di Suvero delivered sheets of wood to a building.”
“Jean-Henri Riesener was ebeniste (cabinetmaker) to Louis XVI, pupil of the great Oeben (maker of Louis XV's desk), and the man considered the greatest of his trade, among not inconsiderable competition, in the last quarter of the 18th century.”
“I paid his rent and utilities for two months and it was pure luck that I could afford to do so (I used to be a cabinetmaker too).”
Looking for tweets for cabinetmaker.