American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having a crest: a crested black macaque.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Wearing or having a crest; adorned with a crest or plume: as, a crested helmet.
- In heraldry, wearing a comb, as a cock, or a natural crest of feathers, as any bird having one.
- In anatomy and zoology, cristate; having a central longitudinal elevation: said especially of the prothorax of an insect.
- adj. Having a crest, or ornamental tuft (on an animal) or plume (on a helmet).
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of crest.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having a crest.
- adj. (Zoöl.) Having a crest of feathers or hair upon the head.
- adj. (Bott.) Bearing any elevated appendage like a crest, as an elevated line or ridge, or a tuft.
- adj. (of a knight's helmet) having a decorative plume
- adj. bearing an heraldic device
- adj. (of a bird or animal) having a usually ornamental tuft or process on the head; often used in combination
“But, just so you know, it's going to be hard to beat having my nude body covered in crested geckos.”
“Here the current, flowing deep and strong, is met by the wind and runs high in crested waves.”
“The next equestrian figure (IV) shows the fluted, or as it was called crested, armour, of about 1500.”
“MAUREPAS, LA (WAFB) - The Amite River at French Settlement has crested, which is some positive news for the flooding in the Livingston Parish town of Maurepas.”
“Something kind of crested up out of the water ... and we pretty quickly realized it wasn't a tuna," said Bruce Sweet, the vessel's skipper.”
“A&S was one of several companies in the early 20th century that made this kind of crested china, meaning that it has -- as you can see -- the crest of a particular town on it, in this case Three Bridges.”
“In some parts of the Middle East some grasses, such as crested wheat, grew wild in such abundance that enough food could be harvested by a family in a few weeks to last them for a year.”
“The sun has just kind of crested behind the mountains on the western side here of El Paso, so a beautiful West Texas desert evening as this plane approaches.”
“A quarter of an hour later we were seated on mats under the shade of a great wild mango tree, drinking lime-juice and listening to the lazy hum of the surf upon the reef, and the soft _croo, croo_ of many "crested" pigeons in the branches above.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘crested’.
words for shape
( randomness, visual. descriptive )
Words made of the following: qwertasdfgzxcvb. I've stood on the shoulders of giants... users mollusque and reesetee made similar lists before I even existed on Wordnik. :)
Words and phrases used in blazoning heraldic devices, along with names and other terms associated with the art and science.
Other similar lists can be found on Wordnik, especially that...
Words you can type with one hand--if you learned how to type formally. Hunt-and-peck method doesn't count. ;-) I'm keeping it to five or more letters to avoid an excessively lengthy list.
Adjectives used in actual (non-taxonomic) bird names, past and present.
Looking for tweets for crested.