from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small compartment, as for work or study.
- n. A small sleeping compartment, especially within a dormitory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small separate part or one of the compartments of a room.
- n. A small enclosure at a swimming pool etc. used to provide personal privacy when changing.
- n. A small enclosure in a public toilet for individual use.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A loding room; esp., a sleeping place partitioned off from a large dormitory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bedroom; a chamber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small individual study area in a library
- n. small area set off by walls for special use
- n. small room in which a monk or nun lives
Middle English, from Latin cubiculum, bed chamber, from cubāre, to lie down.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin cubiculum ("bedroom"), from cubō ("lie down") (Wiktionary)